Summer Studentship: Meteor Observations
DIAS Astrophysics (dias.ie/astrophysics) is delighted to offer a Summer Studentship at DIAS Dunsink Observatory for 2 months in July and August.
DIAS Astrophysics undertakes research in solar physics, space weather, star formation, astrophysical jets, massive stars and high energy astrophysics. DIAS Dunsink Observatory is operated by the section and is a designated European site of historical significance for physics. Meteor observations have been ongoing since 2016 at the observatory (dunsink.dias.ie/citizen-science/meteors/) and we are part of the UK/Ireland NEMETODE observing network and the Global Meteor Network (GMN).
The internship involves working with Dr Jonathan Mackey’s research group on:
- testing (and potentially improving) a machine-learning algorithm, developed during a BSc final-year project, that can discriminate meteors from planes/satellites/birds in GMN data;
- maintaining and upgrading our meteor cameras at Dunsink and around the country;
- processing existing stored data and sharing with the NEMETODE and GMN community;
- helping out with other citizen science initiatives at the Observatory.
A successful candidate should be in line for an honours degree and have an interest in a research career. Experience with linux operating systems, python programming, and computer networking would be an advantage.
The stipend is for a total scholarship of €3,000 and covers a two month internship starting on 1st July 2022 (or shortly thereafter).
DIAS Astrophysics is committed to gender balance, inclusion, and diversity.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 21st June 2022. Candidates will be notified by email the following week if they are through to the interview round.
The application should consist of:
- a CV (max 2 pages),
- a cover letter detailing why you would suit the role and why you wish to pursue a career in research (max 1 page),
- a letter of support from the Degree Course Director stating that the candidate is in line for an honours degree.
The application and letter should be uploaded as a combined PDF file (please do not use other formats) before 5pm on Tuesday 21st June 2022 to this page: dias.ie/applysummerstudentshipastrophysics2022
We look forward to receiving your application. For questions about the internship please contact email@example.com.