The Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies is delighted to invite entries for the inaugural ‘Reach for the Stars’ astrophotography competition.
We are looking for the best astro-photographs taken in Ireland over the period 1st January 2020 to 31st March 2021.
The competition is open to anyone with an interest in astronomy and photography, whether as a hobby, a burning passion or a fulltime career. You must be 18 years old or over to enter.
Entrants may submit up to three images to the competition. The images must:
- Be the original work of the person submitting the entry;
- Have been taken in Ireland during the specified period; and
- Depict scenes / features / elements of astronomical interest.
Winning entries will be chosen by our prestigious judging panel, which includes:
- Brenda Fitzsimons, Picture Editor, The Irish Times;
- John Flannery, Vice-President, Irish Astronomical Society;
- Peter Gallagher, Senior Professor and Head of Astronomy and Astrophysics at DIAS;
- Martina Quinn, Founder and Managing Director, Alice PR & Events.
The winning photographer will receive a prize package that includes:
- Publication of their images on the DIAS and Irish Times websites;
- A VIP tour of DIAS Dunsink Observatory – with the opportunity to peer through Ireland’s largest refractor telescope.
- A €500 voucher for photographic / telescopic equipment; and
- A 12-month Premium Digital subscription to The Irish Times.
It is DIAS’s intention that the winning and highly commended images will also be included in an exhibition at DIAS during 2021, if circumstances allow.
How to Enter
- Read the terms and conditions for full details on eligibility criteria.
- Complete the entry form with the required details for each photograph that you are entering (max. 3 photographs per person and you must complete an individual entry form for each photograph you submit).
- Please ensure photo format is HIGH-RES JPEG (between 2MB and 5MB per file).
- Your entry must be submitted by 5pm on Friday, 2nd April 2021.